Wednesday 22 October 2014

Wednesday's Woman in Focus!

Here we go! Introducing the stylish, elegant and driven Laura Ann. This energetic lady is the face behind the clothing label Pigtails and Pirates. You probably see her super hero fabric across our page from time to time. Well here is a sneaky peek into her thoughts on all things handmade, family and life in general. Happy reading and thanks for sharing with us! xx

 

Why choose handmade?  
 
 I could give 100s of reasons as to why more people should buy handmade – but the main reasons are:

 1) I believe people should be more conscious shoppers. People need to start thinking about where an item is made, what are the conditions of the workers, what is the quality like etc.

2) Handmade lasts! I don’t like the way that we now live in such a wasteful society. I don’t want to be part of a fashion industry that is designed for you to buy something new every season. Clothing should be made well and made to last

3) You are buying a small part of someone - I put my soul into making and designing  clothing. You buy a small amount of someone when you buy handmade

Share the details of the path that led you to sewing and designing?

I was at home with a 2 year old and 4 year old, and I really needed something for me – a hobby. I tried a few other things and then a very good friend of mine suggested making a quilt. She taught me how to make a simple quilt (which the kids still have). I had left over fabric so she also showed me how to do some basic appliques on shirts. I made a few for my daughter and then thought “Hey I should make her a matching skirt” – which I did – and it wasn’t very good but I loved that I had made her an outfit. I made my children a few more things and someone suggested that I could sell them. I started my facebook page after this with the thought that if no-one bought anything I could use it as a place to share the clothing that I made my children. Pigtails and Pirates started with $80 worth of fabric and my mum’s old sewing machines

How you make it fit in your life as a busy mum? 

I have a list of business related things that I need to get done each day (the amount of things on that list is dependent on what I am doing with the kids that day) and I make sure the list is all ticked off by the end of the day. My days are very structured.  I allocate time to certain things, sewing, designing, fabric sourcing, social media posts etc.  My son now goes to school and I also have my daughter in childcare 2 days a week so I can get a bulk lot of sewing done.

My favourite handmade labels – 

I have LOADS of favourites, so I ill just tell you a few that I have most recently bought from.

Honey Cub: Awesome hair wraps

Rex Designs: Great wallets and bags 

 Jodie Louise Millinery: Amazing hats!!!

Mamma P: These raw superfood snack balls - I buy some every week!

I can't get enough –  

 Superhero movies! – There isn’t one that I have seen that I haven’t loved
 

Most treasured possession –  

My Mama’s (my dad’s mum) diamante Oroton bag.  I love this bag not only because it is super stylish but because it has this little authenticity card in it with the date that it was purchased. It shows that my grandfather purchased it on Christmas eve (clearly leaving his Christmas shopping til the last minute!) It was also the bag that she used to attend my parents wedding. I like having a small part of her now that she is no longer with us.
 

My family is –  

Amazing!  They are everything to me. I am very fortunate to have a very supportive husband and 2 beautiful children. I also grew up in large family and am still close to them
 

I couldn't survive without -  My family!!!
 

I wish I could -   Sing – I love to bellow out a good song, it’s just a shame I sound pretty terrible
 

Dream holiday -   To go to Japan! I love Asian countries but I have never been to Japan and I would really love to go.

Favourite local restaurant -  Vistana Malaysia restaurant
 


Cake fave -  I don’t actually like a lot of cakes! Though if I was to say what my favourite dessert was it would be lemon meringue pie

 
Current project underway -   Working on ideas for more evening wear dresses

Who I find inspiring? – My Mum, raising all of her 6 kids as well as helping to manage my family farm. She is also a strong believer in that you get given in life what you can handle… I try and remember that when I get stressed


A parting secret of the work, family and life juggle-  

Make time for people - quality time with your partner, kids and time for yourself. For me this is really important as doing this helps me cope better when I feel overwhelmed with work.

No comments:

Post a Comment