Sunday 19 August 2012

This weeks Meet the Maker is the talented Jodi from the adorable label Tickle and Hide! Meet Jodi on Sunday at our market, her label is one you will not forget!! Follow the ever active blog about her ventures with designer fabric and her family life too. One clever cat indeed!!



View img_6374.jpg in slide show
Why choose handmade?
Well apart from the really important things (quality, ethics, supporting local businesses), I just love all the VARIETY! I love seeing how other people have put prints and patterns together in a way I would never think of and it looks amazing. And if they're anything like me, it's come from way too many hours looking at fabric, deliberating over what goes well together, to make something I really love. And if everyone is making things they really love, then everything is different and full of personality.

Favourite handmade labels:
I love Corduroy Corner. I look at their stuff and think, "I could dress my kids in that everyday!" I also love Cook You Some Noodles, from Sydney. Mariane makes the most original, funky dolls, and I'm so inspired by the way she's built her business. She has people stalking her page to watch for when she's put a new doll in her online shop!

I can't get enough:
Drinking a whole coffee while it's still hot, fabric, macaroons, uninterrupted conversation.

My most treasured possession.
Well, if we had a fire, I'd grab the kids first. Then I'd take a long hard look at my fabric stash, have a little cry, and then get the heck out of there, knowing I couldn't get it all before we burnt to the ground! (Ooh, maybe I need and 'in case of fire' pile to grab on the way out!)

My family is:
Mr Patient: Tim (named so for his grace with the way I've taken over the dining room)
Mr Bouncy: Tully, my incredibly inquisitive and quick-witted 4 yr old, and
Miss Determined: Eve, whom we all hope will turn her amazing powers to not rest till she gets what she wants, into an amazing success one day!

I couldn't survive without:
My faith, and my friends who think it through with me, my coffee machine, Charlie and Lola, the internet.

I wish I could:
Afford to employ people. I get bored quickly. My short attention span is perfectly suited to the time it takes 2 people to work on a project, not one!

Dream holiday:
I'd love to take the family overseas for a year or 2. I've loved the opportunities I've had to learn languages and experience the world from a new perspective.

Favourite local restaurant: I love the Gluten Free cafe Mabelle in Hamilton. So nice to not just have one or 2 things on the menu to choose from for us 'intolerant' people!

Cake Fave:
My husband makes the most amazing Persian Almond and Orange Cake. And it's always gone in a day when he does!

Current project underway:
Getting ready for Market! At the moment I'm dreaming up a welcoming stall. I'm hoping people will feel free to peruse and enjoy rather than walk past, avoiding eye contact (are you guilty of that too?:))

A parting secret of life:
C.S. Lewis said, "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."
I used to be a purely practical person, making decisions based only on need and I saw my love of creativity as something to be kept on the side, something a bit frivilous. I'm learning to let myself be one of those people who bring 'value to survival'.

THANKS jodi!! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment